For centuries the outward appearance of the Church remained largely unchanged However by 1880, the twin imperatives of a growing population and the need for structural repairs, led the then Rector, the Revd. Isaac Haddock, to embark upon a project of restoration and enlargement which cost the sum of £3,140.00 Today the approximate equivalent sum would be well in excess of £210,380.00 The work was overseen by the architect John Oldrid Scott.
In his preliminary report, the architect, John Oldrid Scott, noted : " The Church has. I believe always been plastered outside.......and unless the old flint work should prove to be better than I expect to find it, this feature should be retained." Fortunately, the flint proved to be sound enough to lose it's coating of plaster. Scott also recommended the " removal of the West Gallery and the consequent exposure of the Tower arch and West window. The arch is an unusually good one, and this alteration will prove an astonishing improvement, raising the character of the interior very materially."
Externally, the most obvious change to the Church's appearance in 1880, was the addition of an aisle to the north side of the Nave and a Vestry on the north side of the Chancel. Scott's approach to his task was both historically sympathetic and practical, and compares very favourably with many similar church restorations undertaken during the 19th century.
Inside, the Nave and Chancel were encumbered by box pews and an ugly gallery. Installed in 1842, to provide extra seating, it obscured much of the West Window and extended beyond the Perpendicular Tower Arch into the Nave. To compensate for the loss of seating, it was necessary to construct a new aisle. Scott proposed to pierce the original north wall of the Nave with three arches, to create a new North Aisle.
Plaster, which had long covered the trussed rafters of the roof, was removed, whilst the wooden Chancel Arch, was replaced by one of stone .
Due to their earlier, arbitrary positioning in past centuries, a number of significant historic monuments and features, required relocation. For example, two of the Chancel Windows were obscured by stone monuments, whilst original Norman and fifteenth century windows from the old north wall of the nave, were incorporated sensitively into the new North Aisle. Similarly two ancient doorways, from the old north wall were preserved. The aperture of the first, although blocked, retains its original early fourteenth century stonework . The second, is of the early sixteenth century, with a characteristic depressed arch. It is thought that it was originally the priest's entrance to the church ; appropriately, it now gives access to the Priest's Vestry at the eastern end of the North Aisle.
No significant changes were made to the church until 1966, when a choir vestry was built at the west end of the North Aisle, and the restoration of a thirteenth century window in the Chancel, following the removal of a nineteenth century pipe organ. A complete retiling of the roof was undertaken in 1974, and more recently, between 2004 and 2005, an extensive restoration of the Tower and North Aisle roof was completed.
In 2018, all 8 bells were removed from the church to be repaired and restored off-site. The 5th bell had to be replaced as the cracks that were found during removal were too severe to repair. The bell was replaced in 2019 (with Mears-Stainbank fecit 1899) when phase 1 and 2 of the restoration were completed.
please do come along..
Activities, Songs, Stories, Food and Fun.
Next event date & time to be confirmed.
Why not come along?
Next meet on Thursday 22nd September from 2pm in the church hall.
A warm welcome awaits.
(Full programme on "What's on" tab above)
& UKULELE BAND -
"The Hurbs"-Harlington Ukulele
Next meeting on Wednesday 17th August at 2pm in the church hall - all are welcome to join us.
OPEN HOUSE WEEKEND
Sat 17th & Sun 18th September.
Church will be open to visitors.
For more details click on What's On at top of page.